Wednesday, July 23, 2008

If you don't want to listen to me whine, don't read this post

I feel like complaining. As I write this, it is the first little break I've had since I woke up at 6:00 this morning. I hate my life right now. I work 50 hour weeks, commute 2 hours a day, go to night school twice a week for 3 hours , and have been living out of boxes for the past few weeks because we're moving on Saturday. I am behind on all of my homework, our apartment is a disaster, I haven't exercised in weeks, and I've been totally neglecting Adam. I feel like I don't have enough hours in the day.

The days I have school, I leave the house at 6:30 a.m. and get home at 9:30 p.m. By the time I get home, it's time to go to bed! Call me a wuss, but I don't enjoy days like this. I feel like I might as well live on the metro because I'm on it so much as it is. I'm really growing to hate that dang metro, especially because it's been breaking down almost daily recently and is taking me twice as long to get home at the end of the day. And I hate it because there aren't enough seats and I have to stand the whole way. Men are pigs and never give up their seats to the women in heels! How rude.

All I want is to have some free time to myself to read a book, lie by the pool, and get a little bit of a tan on my ghostly white skin. Any respectable girl should not be this white in the dead of summer! It may seem silly, but it's really bugging me that I haven't had any time this summer to get a tan. It rained every day on our Miami vacation and has rained every Saturday that I've had free to go to the pool. Tanning beds here are $16/session, and the tan-in-a-can runs, splotches, looks orange, and smells nasty.

Hopefully things will be better when school is out in 3 weeks and we're settled into our new apartment. I don't want sympathy, I guess I just wanted to vent. By the way, I don't want to come across as a princess because I'm sure a lot of you have it a lot harder than I do. By no means do I want to downplay anyone else's lives/schedules. All I'm saying is that for me, this is one of the busiest times I've ever had. Big deal.

11 comments:

karlee said...

I feel for you and your hectic schedule. As for the tan thing. I am right there with you. I have been in the sun 1 time this summer. ONE! My legs got fried and are still flaking from it. By the time we get time to tan it will be winter.

The Weston's said...

welcome to the real world- if you REALLY don't want to go crazy - don't have a baby any time soon!!!! :) But really -I'm sorry for ya- I hate days like that.

Anonymous said...

You need a vacation to New York with your mother in law and 2 whiny little brothers! That will be fun!!! But we really will have fun! It will be so fun when you are in your new apartment and not traveling back and forth so much. I am really proud of you, tell Adam to give you a foot rub ok? Love you Jane

michellep said...

Here's some sympathy even though you don't want it ;) So sorry! All I can say is that I love that you are so real/organic. You know what I'm saying? I admire it!

P.S. I didn't mean for that to sound all new age like it did :D

Nancy C. #12 said...

Here is a suggestion. Get one of those lights that simulate sun light and it will make you a happy camper, maybe not tan but they say they are good because it simulates the sun and makes us feel better when we have been in the sun.

Riding the Metro when it breakes is no fun. Sometimes when I had to ride BART in San Francisco every day I would try and read and do some studying when on the train. The BART was always more crowded on the way home and I found if I got on the train going the opposite direction for 1 or 2 stops got off and got back on going the right direction I was always able to find a seat. It did not cost more because I never left the train areas.

Just look on the bright side you only have 2+ more years of DC life providing you both decide not to make a living in DC after both your school time is done.

Hang in there in three weeks you will only have to worry about organizing the new apartment and then getting ready for the next semester.

I think you need a vacation down to NEW ORLEANS. You can come any time.

Love Ya Both,
Aunt Nancy

Sita, Shalie, Kalia, and Vili said...

Wow and I thought my life was hectic! You need something to count down to. Do you having anything fun coming up?

Brittney said...

You can complain all you want....im mean doesnt anyone know that were famous....we shouls have to live like that! expecially being white!!

karlee said...

The job is with Flanders Attorney. Its just one lady and me! I don't think it will be as hectic as out in D.C.(I don't even want to imagine!) I will work from 7:30-4:00 with an hour lunch. She said she may be moving in with some other attorneys but still keep her own practice. I don't really know.. its all going to be so new to me! I just hope I stay busy and enjoy it!

Laura Edwards said...

I believe in you. Three more weeks! YOU CAN DO IT!

Michelle said...

I'm proud of all your hard work Andrea, keep it up!

Becca said...

Now, that was a funny post! Men can be pigs, you should scowl at them until they give up their comfy seat! Maybe you should smack them in the middle of the head (just like my favorite V8 commercial).