Tuesday, February 15, 2011

and then we got smartphones


FINALLY! We're probably some of the last cool people on the planet to get smartphones, for reals. I've never really cared that much about having one, but Adam, on the other hand, has been begging me for about 2 years now to get one. Whenever a situation in life arose that a smartphone would have been helpful in, he'd say, "If only we had smartphones." And then he'd do a big dramatic sigh like, oh, life is so hard! And I would roll my eyes.

But when he started his new job a few weeks ago and told me that he "needed" one for work, I could kind of see his point. Because he is in court almost every day, it would definitely make his life easier to be able to check his email and communicate with his clients from the courtroom.

Luckily, we recently qualified for an upgrade with Verizon, so we did a little shopping around to see what kind of deal we could get. When we went to Costco and learned that we could get smartphones for so cheap, I gave in and we decided to do it. Adam chose a Droid X (only $49.99!) and I chose a Droid Incredbile (only $29.99!). We were thinking about getting iPhones, but most people we talked to told us that the operating systems on the Droids are quicker and Droid offers more free apps than Apple does.

Anyway, we are very happy owners of smartphones and are more than happy to jump on the band wagon with everyone else. Let the obsessive connectivity to the world begin!

Care to share your favorite must-have apps with us greenies?

3 comments:

Evans said...

Oh the iPhone is so much better in my opinion!!!

Kevin said...

Good Choices. The Incredible is one of the best phones out there. Vanessa and I have androids and the following are a must.
*Astrid Tasks - awesome to-do list with reminders
*Skyfire internet browser - it's the real internet complete with flash videos
*Opera Internet browser - also a good browser
*Barcode Scanner - great for bargain shopping
*Smooth Calendar
* ColorNote
*Compass
*Reveal Reader - a lot of gospel content including all the manuals, hymnal, Ensigns, etc
*Urban Spoon
*Gospel Library
*LDS Tools - will download all your stake directory information and show locations on google maps, also make calls from inside the app
*Movies by Flixster
*Google sky
*Angry Birds
I could go on. . .all these are free as well! Enjoy!

Laura Edwards said...

Ha!! You joke, but it's so true. When we had our blackberrys, I felt like we were always playing on our phones! And having a smartphone will definitely help Adam with work. At least it helped with our office. Being able to email with the attorneys while they were in court or on the go was a life saver!!