Sunday, February 7, 2010

Snowmaggedon 2010

Another huge snow storm hit DC this weekend. Just like the blizzard in December, the metro area received between 20-30 inches, depending on who's measuring and where exactly they're measuring. We figure we got at least 22 inches at our apartment. It started snowing Friday around noon and didn't let up until Saturday around 5:00 pm.

The grocery store on Friday morning was a scary sight. It seriously looked like a war zone. Many of the shelves were completely empty and the lines snaked around the store. The line at Costco went 3/4 of the way to the back of the store. It was crazy! People around here sure panic when they hear the word snow. The governor of VA declared a snow emergency more than 12 hours before a single flake even fell.

We've spent the weekend snuggled up inside eating ourselves sick with apple pie, Valentine's Day sugar cookies, and hot chocolate. We've loved every minute of it!


And best of all, my mom has been here visiting from St. George, UT! We have absolutely loved having her here and wouldn't want to be stranded with anyone else. She was supposed to leave this morning, but it doesn't look like she's going to get out until Tuesday morning. We certainly don't mind!

We played Monopoly, one of the best games ever invented. I only say that because I won. Check out all of my property and money! If only my success in the game translated to the real world...

Can you find the car?

I feel horrible for the person that has to dig it out!

We took a walk around the neighborhood on Saturday. The headstones in Arlington National Cemetery looked gorgeous covered in all of the snow.

The snow was really heavy and broke huge tree branches. Hundreds of thousands of people lost power after the branches fell on top of power lines. We have been really lucky so far and fortunately still have our heater, hot showers, and capability to make all sorts of yummy food.

I can't get over how beautiful everything looks covered in thick snow. I love, love, love snowstorms and hope we get a few more before spring comes. Especially because I don't have to go into work tomorrow!

3 comments:

Scooter and Jessica said...

I wish I was there. You guys have probably been having a great time. Plus, I totally would have SMOKED you at Monopoly! And seeing your little pregnant belly in person would have been a fun added bonus... = )

Paul Doxey said...

What is good for you, is not good for me. I want my warm little bundle of joy back here with me - and I'm not talking about the baby. I'll be patient.... Also, did I tell you that you can have your snow? (In other words, I'm glad it's you with the snow and not me)...

Dad

Lindsay said...

I am jealous of all that snow! We could use some of that around here.