Friday, February 19, 2010

The Weight of Weight

When I first got pregnant, I knew that I’d gain weight during my pregnancy. I knew that it was a good thing and that the baby needed me to gain weight in order to be healthy. I knew that my body was going to change as I carried the baby, and I was okay with it. But I never realized how hard it was actually going to be, emotionally, to gain weight.

I’ve always tried to stay in relatively good shape and work out a few times a week. I’m no athlete by any stretch of the imagination, but I have always tried to be active. I was blessed with a fairly good metabolism and could eat basically whatever I wanted as long as I didn’t eat too much. I’ve always been in the habit of weighing myself a few times a week and I never letting myself gain more than a few pounds before I’d put an end to it. I’ve always figured it’s easier to stop yourself after gaining only a few pounds than it would be to realize you need to lose like 20.

When I first got pregnant, my goal was to only gain 25 lbs during the course of the 40 weeks. Ha! That goal seems like a joke now. Now that I’m more than half way through my pregnancy, I’m on track to gain a heck of a lot more than that, and it’s depressing the heck out of me. It kills me every time I step on the scale and I see the numbers climbing higher and higher and higher. It puts me in a bad mood during the day. I can’t stop thinking about it. I fear that I’m never going to lose the weight after the baby comes and that this pregnancy is going to permanently slow down my metabolism to the speed of a snail.

I’m sure every pregnant woman goes through all of these worries, but honestly, I’m freaking out. I wish I could be one of those girls that never weighs themselves when they are pregnant, but I’m afraid that if I do that, I’ll be horrified to realize that I’ve gained 75 lbs at the end and then REALLY be in trouble.

I don’t want to come across as shallow or ungrateful. Don’t get me wrong- I am extremely happy to be pregnant and wouldn’t trade it for anything. I would do anything for this baby, but I just need some advice on how to deal with feeling like a big fat cow every day! At what point in your pregnancy did you gain most of your weight? How much did you gain? Did it fly off after the baby was born, or did you really have to work at it to get it off? Do you feel like your metabolism changed?

P.S. I promise I’m not writing this post as some sort of pathetic attempt to get compliments. I don’t want you to say nice things just to make me feel better. I obviously know I don’t LOOK huge, but I FEEL huge. I genuinely want advice on how to deal with these FEELINGS! I’m pregnant, and I’m allowed to have a lot of feelings, dang it!

15 comments:

MeganDan said...

I would think that it would be very stressful. Heck, I'm not pregnant, and the numbers on the scale kill me now. I have a friend who is prego right now and she just keeps telling herself that the weight is for the good of her baby. I say keep up with the gym, eating healthy, and allowing "snacks" every now and then is just fine!

Jenna said...

You are very normal!! And you're totally normal for having those feelings. My advice: don't weight yourself. Your body will gain what it needs to gain no matter what. Obviously you should watch what you eat to have a healthy diet but I don't think you really have a lot of control of exactly how much you will gain. It is hard to let go but I think it will ease your mind. I was actually surprised how quickly my baby fat went away. At the time it seemed forever but looking back it was fine. Your body will probably never be exactly the same but if you took care of your body before then you should have no problem getting it back!!

Torgersons said...

I gained most of my weight right in the middle...about where you are. I was freaking out too. Trust me, it's normal to feel that way. I didn't gain as much at the end and ended up gaining 25 pounds and losing it all within a month. I don't think that's typical, but I really watched what I ate and I exercised. I'm pretty sure breastfeeding is what helped melt all the weight off. I didn't do a thing afterwards to get it off. I'm pretty dang lucky and I know the rest of my pregnancies won't be that way. These feelings are totally normal though. You'll be surprised at how fast you lose the weight once you deliver.

The Mursets said...

I am sure you will be just fine! We are about the same build, and I gained 43 pounds the second time around...It was not fun to watch those numbers, so I know what you are going through. Everyone feels like that. I am sure you will lose it fast too! No offense to anyone reading this, but most of the girls who only gain crazy small numbers are bigger than you to start with.

I had a girl in my ward tell me that girls can have a healthy pregnancy and only gain 10 pounds(like she did). I just don't believe it. Nathan was over 9 pounds when he was born....anyway I am rambling. Hang in there!

michellep said...

Oh yes, I too have been preoccupied with my weight gain. And I've been through it before so I should know that the weight will come off. Heck I think I even got down to 15 lbs less than before my first pregnancy. The fact is, gaining weight is scary! At least I know I have major hang ups about it. But believe me when I tell you that you look so wonderful! No matter how much you put on, I know you'll just bounce right back! But yeah, getting fat stinks ;)

mylyn wood said...

it's totally normal. i was just like you. Always small no matter what I ate and I always thought when I got pregnant that I'd be one of those girls that would effortlessly keep the weight low. Not the case! and it was like hitting a brick wall of realization. I gained 55 lbs with our chunker and it took me about 6 months to lose it all and now 10 months later my body is still making some changes. I felt helpless looking at the scale as I gained weight and helpless as I watched it SLOOOOOOOWLY go down. All in all though, your body knows what it needs to do, you still look AMAZING, and you WILL be back to normal. It's totally normal to feel bad about it but it will be worth it. :-)

Everett Family said...

Don't feel bad, gaining weight is never fun but at least it is for a good cause. I gained around 50lbs with both of my pregnancies and lost it both times. Try being pregnant over all the major holidays now that is pretty depressing to get on the scale after Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Jane said...

Andrea, look at your mama! You have great genes.Be happy,don't worry! love you

Heather B said...

I can feel your pain. My sisters seem to gain the average "25-35" lbs and so I expected to be the same. Nope. I gained 44 with my first baby, and 5 of those lbs were in the last WEEK of pregnancy. I was so depressed, I cried! I started gaining at about 20 weeks and didn't stop (with both pregnancies.) I couldn't stop myself from weighing in, but I also couldn't stop myself from eating whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted. And I didn't exercise. I can honestly say that I don't really regret it. After my 1st baby, who was 9 lbs, I lost 29 lbs in one week. THAT'S when I realized how much of my weight was water. (I love salt!) I had lost all the weight within about 4 months, just from nursing and taking walks with the baby. BUT, it was harder to lose it the 2nd time around, and I didn't have as much water weight, I had more FAT weight. So my goal for the 3rd time around is to be a little (not a lot) more careful about what I eat. Anyway, hope that helps. Just remember that a lot of it is probably water.

djzmcallister said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
djzmcallister said...

I actually gained 80 POUNDS and so YES I know how you feel I can sympathize with the feelings, but you look great. I had a 9 lb 3 oz baby and he was so healthy so it made it worth it.

Erica said...

i can feel your pain. i gained lots of weight. i started turning around at the dr's office so i didn't know how much it was. it was a lot better for me not to know. i knew i was gaining but i didn't want to know exact. everyone is different. some gain lots and some don't. no matter what you do, you are going to gain the weight. you need to gain the weight so your baby is healthy. it took me 6 months to get back down to my old weight and i took work. but my body isn't the same. it never will be i don't think. don't weigh yourself. don't worry about it. eat healthy. stay positive. your baby depends on your body and it is going to work how it is suppose to.

Jasmyn said...

Oh, Andrea - this post made me laugh. :) It's normal to feel like a complete cow when you're pregnant...mine was also in the middle of summer, so with all the water weight I retained too, I was absolutely huge!! I think you'll be surprised how fast most of it comes off, though. Nursing, losing all that water weight, and just getting back into the normal swing of things will make it all come off quicker than you think.

Good luck with everything and enjoy the good things that come with pregnancy...things like getting lots of foot massages from your husband and not having a period every month! ;)

Jasmyn

Heather Stott said...

haha! ok, I don't want to laugh becuase I am sure you are frustrated. but honestly I believe the number on a scale does not mean that much, it's all in where you carry your weight and how your own body looks, and how healthy you are. Just becuase the number is riseing does not mean that you are just packing on pure fat! becuase your not! your still as tiny as a tooth pick so where is all this weight going?! there are alot of reasons. your metabolism isn't going to change after the baby is born. all the weight WILL come off after the baby is born! and you will fit back into your skinny jeans again! if it comes harder or easier for you is hard to say? But my guess, it will fall off of you! you have always been small, your built that way! it will be ok! your probably not going to gain as much as you think. I gained like 50 pounds with my first! :) and most of it was in like month 6! and then again at the very end. this pregnancy ive only gained about 10 lbs. but I still have a long ways to go and feel like I am in the packing on pounds mode these days! So every pregnancy is different. but really don't stress! you WILL be back to your old self again it just doesn't seem like it now. :)

Paul Doxey said...

Sweetheart, you are so darling. I know it's hard to feel out of control but that's the way pregnancy is. It's not really "your" body anymore - you are sharing it with your little son. You are going to gain what you need to gain when your baby needs you to gain it. I really believe that you will not continue to gain at this rate, but even if you do, as long as you are eating healthy food in reasonable amounts, you will be fine. I know this is difficult, but just try to be grateful that Adam is so supportive.

I love you,

Mom