Friday, July 31, 2009

Adam The Spudman

Adam and I traveled to Burley, Idaho last weekend for the famed Spudman Triathlon, along with his parents and little brother, Nick. We borrowed a friend's camper and despite Hiram's protests, even brought Mattie along for the weekend.

I have to say, the 3 hour car ride seemed a lot longer with Mattie sitting at my feet (and occasionally ON my feet) while she breathed her hot, stinky dog breath in my face.

After we set up camp, we had some time to relax.

Mattie got to spend some long-awaited quality time with her favorite person in the world. There's nothing she loves more than staring into his eyes.

And we had a photo shoot with her. This was my favorite.

Adam and Hiram did the full Triathlon.
Jane and I did a relay. Jane ran the 10K and I biked the 26 miles. Trisha, my sister-in-law, was supposed to do the swim, but she wasn't able to make it because she had to work.
After I came in from the bike segment, I couldn't find Jane. I was supposed to pass the timing device off to her, but we didn't end up meeting up for about 45 minutes. It was a total miscommunication and I felt horrible because Jane ended up running later in the day when it was a lot hotter.

No one got any pictures of me on my bike, and because I couldn't find Jane, who had the camera, I wasn't able to get any pictures of Adam coming across the finish line.

So sad!

They forgot to give Adam his medal when he came across the finish line, and he was not about to leave his first triathlon without a medal. So he had to get the medal-giver-girl's attention and tell her he needed one.

"Hey! I want my medal so I can prove to everyone that I did this stinkin' race!"

"My wife is going to put these pictures on our blog so everyone can see how athletic and manly I am!"

"Thank you. That's much better!"

Nick creatively used Mattie as a chair when his legs got tired after waiting for us for so many hours.

Our medals!
Adam finished the race in 2 hours, 36 minutes. Not too shabby for a newbie!
I rode the 26 miles in 1 hour, 23 minutes. That's 18 mph! Boo ya!

Hiram and Jane did great too. We had such a fun time. I'd love to do it again next year. And who knows, maybe I'll do the full race!


This is how I found the exhausted boy after we got home.
He slept in the love sac for two hours without moving.

Adam had so much fun doing the Spudman that he signed up to do another Triathlon with one of his law school friends. They'll be doing the Giant Acorn International Distance Triathlon in Bumpass, VA in October.

I'll be there cheering them on.

But you won't find me doing it!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

you have good life

Lindsay said...

I confess I was supposed to do the Spudman, but I was not in good enough shape to run the 10K. And as an additional excuse, my grandparents' 80th birthday open house was scheduled for the same day. Congratulations to both of you for doing such an awesome job!

I must warn you Andrea, are you sure you know what Adam is getting into? Jeff's first triathlon (also the Spudman) was in 2005, since then we have endured countless hours of running, swimming and biking to prepare for event after event. The Spudman could be a dangerous precedent, next stop could be a an Ironman. Do you know how many hours Adam will be gone training for such an event? I wouldn't wish such loneliness on you Andie dear.

Ha, ha, just kidding! I do like that such hobbies are healthy and make Jeff happy, which makes me happy. Most events are fun for the whole family. It is fun to train for events together too.

The Mursets said...

WOW! That is great!

Scooter and Jessica said...

You guys are so awesome! Andrea, you have come a long way with your physical exertion levels. I bet that in high school if someone would have told me that you would someday participate in a triathlon I would have said they were lying! But, you are constantly doing things that amaze me now-a-days. I'm so proud!

saisai said...

congrats you two! nicely done. :)

Patrick said...

Mattie Looks really proud and majestic in these pictures, nice Photoshop!
Good post, I love you guys.

dave + kirst said...

i'm am totally impressed with you andi! you didn't even work out when you left here two years ago and now you are a machine!