It’s totally last minute, I know, but I haven’t really gotten any advice about diaper bags yet. Can all of you wonderful, experienced, knowledgeable moms impart your wisdom to me?
- What size of bag do you recommend?
- What brand do you love?
- Is it worth it to spend a lot on a really nice one or will any bag do?
- What are the features of a diaper bag that you can’t live without?
- Should I have 2? A small one for quick trips out and a big one for days when I’m going to be out all day?
- Do I need to get a totally sassy bag so that other moms won’t judge me and think I’m a lame-o mom?
16 comments:
I got one for free from the hospital but it was way too small. I usually pack:
3 diapers
wipes
changing pad
bottle
formula
binkie
blanket
a few toys
baby tylenol & gas drops
a few burp cloths
I had to buy another one but that one was too small too! Also, I HATE carrying a purse AND a diaper bag. I'd get a big one that looks a little more like a big purse.
Hope that helps! can't wait to see him!
I started with one diaper bag, and changed a few times. I like having a small one for quick trips, and a big one for longer ones. Now that I don't carry as much I just have a big purse that I keep diapers, wipes, and a sippy cup in. The one I had when Jada was a newborn was from pottery barn and it had a zip down fold out pad that I could change Jada on and that came in handy a ton! But I also hate carrying a purse and a diaper bag, so my fav was just carrying a big purse with all my stuff in it.
With Nathan I had an actual diaper bag. I kept a small one in the car for emergencies, and then had one I took everywhere. I got tired of mine way fast. With Ava I just got a big cute purse(from Target). It has a few small pockets for my cell phone, lip gloss and gum, and then I have room for stuff for both kids too.
I keep my wallet in there, and then pretty much the same stuff on Mylyn's list. I always keep a change of clothes (at least a clean onsies) for when they are little. I have a clear zip pouch thing that I keep all the powder, lotion, finger nail clippers, hand sanitizer, and other small stuff in so I can see it and grab it quickly without having to rummage.
Just pack it with what you think you need and if you find you aren't using stuff take it out....as he gets older you will have to keep switching stuff.
i didn't know what i wanted to do with a diaper bag but i had heard nothing but good things about petunia pickle bottom. a tad expensive... but i have used the thing to death & it has worn so well. i loved it when were in dc because space was always tight. I LOVED being able to wear it as a backpack or as an over the shoulder. it has a million compartments and i found myself using every single one. it was seriously a life saver when owen was a baby. i would recommend it in a heart beat. for the price you are really getting quality. it has a fold out compartment that you use to change them on and it was & is a life saver when i go places and need to change him on gross changing tables in random places. i bought mine in the glazed wipe able exterior. i can't tell you how many times i've had spills and was so glad that the bag i used was wipe able and didn't absorb!! you'll thank me!
http://petuniapicklebottom.com/collections/original/boxybackpacks/
now that he is bigger i have a large purse that i use because i don't need anything but some wipes and a sippie cup.
i also never carried a purse with the diaper bag. too much bulk. i downsized my wallet (best decision ever) into a jcrew magic wallet. so i had what i needed all in one bag.
all i know is that cody always ends up carrying it when we're out, so get one's that adam wouldn't be embarrassed carrying, like a cool messenger bag.
You'll definitely change what you need as the baby grows. I wouldn't spend the money on an expensive bag right away. You might find out you don't like it. I've used a few bags/purses we have around the house. It's been a life saver. I just found an ogio bag I got for under $20. It's a one sided backpack and I'm loving in for a diaper bag. There are a lot of small pockets/compartments. It zips so things can't fall out. And it looks cool. I've contemplated getting the petunia pickle, but I can't justify that much on a diaper bag. I'm excited to see what you decide. Good luck. There is one similar to petunia but is half the price and still quite popular. Let me know if you want the info.
Yeah, I still don't have a bag I like. But I'll tell you what I carry... An extra outfit and onesie, three diapers, wipes, extra binki, breast feeding cover, burp clothes, a toy or two and sometimes a blanket and hat.
You'll probably have less bulk because your baby will be born when it is warm. Also, I would definitely have a small bag so you can grab and go! Good luck!
with a newborn you carry way more stufff! like in case they spit up or have a blow out or pee on them selves or all three! you will want several extra onesies. and they go through a million diapers a day at the begining i pack like 7 for lucas and 4 for william! I am totally one of thoes people that want to be prepared for the "just in case" situations as well. so I carry things like tylenol, gas drops, nasal spray and bulb seringe, lotions, sanitizer, finger nail clippers, and if we are going out in the evening I always make sure there is pj's in there because a lot of the time I'll bathe william and put him in his jammies before we go home because I know he'll fall asleep in the car on the way home. lets just say my diaper bag is large! but before lucas came I was getting to the point where I wasnt even bringing a diaperbag. a few diapers and a small case of wipes in my purse and we were good to go. as they get older the diaper bag evolves and changes!
also my mother in law just gave me a petunia pickle bottom (the one myla talked about) I havent used it yet but it does look cool. and after what she said about it im SO going to try it out!
Big, and not too expensive... they get dirty, milk spills, or whatever. I go for big and cheap.... it can still be cute!
I think big is the only way to go cause you end up using them as a purse as well cause it's a pain to carry a diaper bag and a purse around! My diaper bags consists of...
Diapers
Wipes (like a travel size)
Lotion
Butt Paste
Blanket
Extra Outfit
Nose Sucker
Binkie (if they take them)
Bottle (if you don't breast feed)
Hooter Hider (if you breast feed)
Nursing Pads (again if you nurse)
Burp Cloth
Toys (when the get older)
Tylenol and Mylacon
Hand Sanitizer
Ziploc Bags (for outfits that they poop or pee on)
I take a lot but it's because you need it all eventually! I buy travel sizes in the lotion,wipes and hand sanitizer so that saves room. I bought a really cute bag for this baby on Diapers.com they have some good prices and some expensive ones too! They ship for free over 40 bucks I think and it comes in like 2 days! They have discounts on a bunch of other things too. Check it out if you haven't already heard of them! Sorry for the novel, hope it helped!
I agree with Brit - big, cheap and cute! Also, get a WRISTLET! I have a super cute Coach wristlet that I have my credit cards, $, phone, license etc in. That way at the store/playground/wherever I can set down my enormous heavy bag (like in the grocery cart) and carry my wristlet on my wrist. My hands are still free and my most important personal items are with me at all times. I mean, if my huge diaper bag got snagged- I'd at least have have $ to buy some new stuff on the spot!
I have bought atleast a dozen diaper bags over the course of my three little dudes. I find one I love on a great deal and I would get it. They dirty really fast and it's nice to toss it up a bit... just sayin.
Hey Andrea, I just found your blog! how exciting your about to have a little guy, I just had my second one in Dec. they are the BEST! I also went through SO MANY bags cause sometimes you want big sometime small and the BEST thing we have found that works for everything everywhere was a backpack. We got one that has like the 5 pockets on the front that are all different sizes plus two net pouches on the side great for bottles and what not..everything you could ever possibly need and its all separated out...my husband was never one to carry a diaper bag on his shoulder and frankly its a big pain sometimes cause it falls off so a backpack you dont have to worry about it falling and my husband will carry it anywhere and it frees up your hands too!! its great for everything seriously! we bought one that looks really nice not just a school looking one..i also bought one that has a little zip pocket on the shoulder strap and i carry hand sanitizer in it, its the perfect place and easy to get to cause when you are in a store or where ever its nice to have it close on hand, i use it all the time! anyways sorry that was long but everyone that i have told about it and they have tried it they LOVED it and have never gotten sick of theirs nor have I! congrats again i hope everything goes great for you when its time for his arrival!!!
btw if you want in invite to my blog email me at hawaiianangel19@hotmail.com and tell me your email and i will send you an invite...hopefully you remember me from school or this just might seem a little crazy! :) hahaha
I liked having several bags ready to go, to make sure I was accessorizing correctly. I used a different one for Sunday with unique church stuff for baby to play with, and carry my lesson manual. One for outings and one for regular shopping.
Ogio Roadtrip Bag. I've gone through 2 now. LOVE THEM!
Post a Comment